Wednesday 13 December 2017

Faulkner goal ends O'Raghallaigh's resistance as Gaels remain in the hunt

Group D


SUPERSUB Jamie Faulkner came off the bench to score the goal which finally ended O Raghallaighs resistance as the Gaels joined St Fechins at the top of Group D.

After early scores from Sean McCann and Craig McEnteggart, both sets of forwards were guilty of poor finishing as scores proved hard to come by in a low scoring first half. The Gaels were relying on the accurate free taking ability of midfielder Sean McCann and it was from his boot that the Dundalk side regained the lead midway through the opening half. Again the Drogheda side responded.

The teams traded points just before to make it 0-3 apiece.

The second half continued in the same fashion with neither side able to pull clear as Brian Smith cancelled out David McComish's early second half point. As the game entered its final quarter the Gaels found themselves a point up thanks to Sean McCann's fifth point of the day.

The game was still up for grabs but the turning point came when the Gaels brought on Jamie Faulkner for the final ten minutes. With the Gaels a point up and just five minutes left on the clock, Faulkner made an instant impact on the game as he smashed the ball into the roof of the net to finally give the Gaels breathing space and a four point lead.

That goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of the Drogheda men as the Gaels tagged on two further points late on to clinch what was an extremely hard fought victory.

DUNDALK GAELS: Stephen Faulkner; David Connolly, Tom Murphy, Darragh O'Callaghan; Andrew Coleman 0-1, Peter McGinnity, David McComish 0-3; Sean McCann 0-5, James Stewart; Conor Oakes, Anthony McSorley, Stephen Murphy 0-1; Paul Burke, Stephen McLoughlin, Gerard McSorley. Subs: Jamie Faulkner 1-1 for A McSorley, James Lynch for P Burke, Danny Watters for J Stewart.

O RAGHALLAIGHS: Joe Flanagan; Tomas Callan, Johnny Clerkin, Gary O'Rourke; Eoin Moore, Chris Smith, Alan Doyle; Ciaran Brassil, Robert Mulroy; James Morgan, Craig McEnteggart 0-6, Gordon Yorke; Barry Flanagan, Brian Smith 0-2, Cillian Curran. Sub: Cillian Duffy for C Curran.


O'CONNELL'S survived a late rally by the Mary's to record their second victory in the Sheelan Cup and get themselves back in the hunt in Group D.

Both teams found it hard to get on the scoreboard in the early stages and it was not until the 16th minute that Paul McKeever opened the scoring for the home side. Niall Conlon quickly added another point and Robert Quigley then got on the end of a long ball and finished to the net after 21 minutes.

Ronan Carroll got the visitors off the mark with a free but the home side replied with the next three points, two from Quigley and the other from McKeever. Just before the break the Ardee men broke down the field and Niall Carroll was on hand to get his side back in the game with a goal to leave the half time score 1-5 to 1-1 in favour of the O'Connells.

O'Connell's started the second half better and got the first three points from Quigley, McKeever and Conlon. Ronan Carroll pulled one back for the Mary's from a free but on the next move the home team were awarded a penalty when McKeever was clean through and was pulled to the ground by the keeper. However the keeper redeemed himself by saving the spot kick from Quigley.

McKeever added another point to leave seven between the teams but the men from Ardee upped their game and dominated the rest of the match. Carroll and sub Barry McCoy both pointed to reduce it to five and Carroll then got a goal and there was only two between the sides with five minutes to go. Robert Callaghan reduced the margin to one and Carroll got the equaliser two minutes later.

The home side had not scored for 15 minutes, but in injury time they had one last attack and Conlon scored what was to be the winner and they held on for the victory.

O'CONNELLS: Sean Connolly; Declan Byrne, Conor Byrne, Keith Woods; PJ Tuite, Salem Rifaie, David Hoey; Conor Kiernan, Sean Cairns; Dean Stanfield, Paul McKeever 0-4 (1f), Niall Conlon 0-3; Andrew Keenan, Robert Quigley 1-3 (1f), Emmet Byrne. Subs Ronan Culligan for D Stanfield.

ST MARYS: Duane Crosby; Barry Faulkner, Niall Eccles, David Rooney; Jamie Rooney, Eamon Callaghan, Karl Faulkner; Robert Leavy, Robert McCabe; Mark Fay, Ronan Carroll 1-4, Robert Callaghan 0-1; Niall Carroll 0-1, Paudy Clarke, Kian Moran. Subs Barry McCoy 0-1 for P Clarke, Fergal Diamond for E Callaghan, Mark Gorman for R Leavy, Donal Matthews for J Rooney.


ST FECHIN'S followed up on last week's impressive away win at St Marys with a four point victory over Roche Emmets to maintain their lead at the top of Group D.

The first half was nip and tuck as both sides traded points with Harry McCarthy's effort for the home side the pick of the bunch.

The crucial score of the first half came from the boot of Kevin McCabe who rifled the ball past Roche keeper Evan Quigley to give his side a three point cushion. The Fechins extended that lead to four just before the break with a well worked point finished off by Sean McConnell. That left the scoreboard reading 1-4 to 0-3 in favour of the home side as the teams went in at the break.

The second half seen Roche mount a comeback as they reduced the Fechins lead to just a point thanks to scores from Barry O'Hare, Liam Carthy and Kevin Callaghan. A second point from Paul King sent the Fechins two clear as the game entered its final quarter. Just like the first half the crucial score proved to be a Fechins goal and this time it was full forward Enda Ruddy who was in the right place at the right time as he sent the ball into the back of the net.

That goal sent the Fechins five clear and ultimately ended Roche's brave resistence.

ST FECHINS: Mark Savage; Derek Younger, Richard McDonald, Fergal McNally 0-1; Michael Flanagan, David Collier, Niall McCabe; Donal Ryan, Sean McConnell 0-1; Harry McArdle, Paul King 0-2, Harry McCarthy 0-1; Kevin McCabe 1-0, Enda Ruddy 1-1, Darren O'Neill. Subs: Jamie King for D O'Neill, Conor Barnes for K McCabe, Tom Burke for M Flanagan, Vinny Corrigan for H McCarthy.

ROCHE EMMETS: Evan Quigley; Andrew Carroll, Harry O'Connell, James Tiffany; Conor Carthy, Duane Callan, Kevin Quigley; Niall McArdle, David O'Connell; Dermot Carthy, Liam Carthy 0-1, Paddy Quigley; Barry O'Hare 0-4, Eugene Murray, Kevin Callaghan 0-3. Subs: Sean Murphy for J Tiffany, Niall Carroll for D Callan, Paddy Murphy for K Quigley, Aaron Callan for D O'Connell, Cathal Byrne for P Quigley.

The Argus

Promoted Links

Promoted Links