Wednesday 24 April 2019

Two hour wait for injured worker

Margaret Roddy

Concerns about the response time by the ambulance services to incidents in north Louth have been raised again after it took two hours for an ambulance to attend to a man injured in an accident at Greenore Port last Thursday.

The man, a port employee, sustained a severe injury to his foot and a call was made for an ambulance at approximately 11.30am but an ambulance didn't arrive until two hours later.

Port general manager Niall McCarthy hit out at the delay, saying 'it was made quite clear that the accident was quite serious and we would have expected an ambulance to be put out as soon as possible. It seems bizarre that it took two hours for one to arrive.'

He said that a doctor was called immediately after the accident and that an emergency response vehicle also attended, but the man was left lying on concrete until the ambulance, which had travelled from Blanchardstown, arrived to transfer him to hospital.

'I think an ambulance should be a priority for a commercial industry like ours which deals with heavy duty machinery. Thankfully we don't have many accidents but it was a hard situation to have to wait so long for one to arrive.'

Local Fianna Fail TD Declan Breathnach issued a statement about 'the appalling state' of the ambulance service in the North East which he had raised with Health Minister Simon Harris in the Dáil and had received promises of additional staff.

'This is not a criticism of the dedicated staff in the ambulance service in the North East who are working in extremely difficult conditions and prevented from carrying out their duties properly because of lack of personnel and vehicular resources'.

He said that in addition to the accident at Greenore Port, he had also been alerted to another incident in Greenore a few weeks previously in which 'a lady lay on the road while an ambulance eventually came from Malahide'.

'This simply is not good enough. I will continue to voice these concerns in the Dáil and have written to the Minister seeking urgent action and improvement to the ambulance service North East.'

The Argus