independent

Sunday 24 March 2019

Third man jailed for assault on LFC fan Sean Cox

Sean Cox.
Sean Cox.

A 30-year-old Italian man was jailed for three-and-a-half years for the assault of Liverpool fan Sean Cox outside Anfield in April last year.

Simone Mastrelli, from Rome, had been extradited to the UK after being arrested on a European Arrest Warrant in Italy in connection with the assault on 53-year-old father-of-three Sean Cox, who suffered catastrophic head injuries in the attack.

Mr. Cox, who is from County Meath, worked for many years at Dundalk company, Precision Cables. He has been undergoing extensive medical treatment since the assault, and is currently recovering at the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dún Laoghaire.

Mastrelli entered a guilty plea at Preston Crown Court to unlawfully and maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Cox. Sentencing at Preston Crown Court Judge Mark Brown called the assault 'a dreadful offence' which had 'had a profound impact on Sean Cox and his family'. He said it was 'particularly callous' of Mastrelli to have continued on into the Liverpool vs Roma game after the assault

Mr Cox's daughter Shauna told the court in a victim impact statement that before the attack her father had been a fit and confident man with a passion for life, who represented everything that was good.

Another Roma fan, Filippo Lombardi, 21, was cleared of inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Cox in October, though he was jailed for three years for violent disorder. A third man, Daniele Sciusco, 29, from Rome, was jailed for two-and-a-half years in relation to the assault in August 2018.

Meanwhile, some of the biggest names in football are set to feature in a charity football match for the Sean Cox Rehabilitation Trust at the Aviva Stadium on 12th April.

The game will feature Republic of Ireland legends playing against some of the biggest Liverpool stars.

The Argus

News