Monday 11 December 2017

GSOC investigating death of man in Garda station

An investigation has been launched by the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission into the death of a man who was in custody at Dundalk Garda Station last week.

The 'sudden death' of the man was reported to have taken place on Thursday last, July 6th after he was detained at 8.30p.m.

He had been arrested in relation to a road traffic offence.

It was reported that an on-call doctor attended the garda station and efforts were made to rescucitate him but he was confirmed dead that evening. He has since been named as Liam Mullen (55), from Father Murray Park. His funeral took place yesterday morning (Monday).

Dundalk gardai confirmed that an investigation has now been launched by GSOC .

A statement was released following the incident confirming: 'The direction of the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission's investigation into the death in Dundalk Garda Station on the 6th of July 2017 will depend on the outcome of the post mortem and other information.

At this stage GSOC continues to examine matters under s.91 of the Garda Síochána Act 2005. GSOC is not confirming the identity of the deceased until all relatives have been informed. GSOC will be adding no further information regarding the investigation at this time.'

It has also emerged that the deceased had been questioned by gardai in relation to the disappearance of Dundalk teenager Ciara Breen in 1997.

The 17 year old was last seen at her home in Bachelors Walk in Dundalk in the early hours of February 13, 1997.

She is believed to have slipped out of her home to meet with someone, but never returned. Her disappearance has been the focus of an ongoing garda investigation over the years.

There was a renewed focus on the case in 2015 when fresh evidence came to light.

Major searches were carried out locally - at Balmer's Bog, for what were believed to be the remains of the missing teenager. But nothing was found.

Gardai are reported to have questioned Liam Mullen in relation to the teenagers disappearamnce. A number of files were sent to the DPP in relation to the case but no charges were ever brought.

The Argus

Promoted Links

Promoted Links