Additional five charges for Morei
The teenager charged with murdering a Japanese man in a stabbing in Dundalk has been further charged with attacking two other men and obstructing gardai.
Mohamed Morei, 18, had remanded in custody when he appeared at a special sitting of Dundalk District Court on January 4th, charged with the murder of 24-year-old National Pen worker Yosuke Sasaki from Japan, the previous day at the Long Avenue, in Dundalk.
He was unable to attend eleven subsequent hearings at Cloverhill District Court as he was deemed unfit to attend court while he received ongoing medical care in the Central Mental Hospital in Dundrum in Dublin.
He was, however, fit to attend when his came before Cloverhill District Court last Thursday and five additional charges were put to him.
Theses comprised two new charges for assault causing harm to two named men at the Inner Relief Road and on Quay Street, in Dundalk on January 3rd.
He is also charged with causing criminal damage to a car rear window at the Long Avenue, on the same date as well as trespassing with intent to cause criminal damage at a property there between January 2 and January 3 last.
The final charge was for obstruction of gardai at Dundalk Station on January 3
Dressed in a tracksuit, he stood and listened to the proceedings with the help of an interpreter but did not address the court and there has been no indication yet as to how he is going to plead.
Garda Damien Welby told Judge Victor Blake the accused replied 'I don't remember any of this' when the trespass charge was put to him and under caution he said 'I don't remember anything' in response to the criminal charge.
An interpreter translated when the new charges were put to the accused, the court was told.
Judge Blake noted from Garda Welby that formal directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions had been received and Mr Morei is to face trial on indictment in the Central Criminal Court on all charges.
The DPP has also directed that he can be sent forward to that court 'for sentence on a signed plea should that arise"'
Defence solicitor Barry Callan said there was no application for bail.
Judge Blake remanded Mr Morei in continuing custody to appear again on July 5 next pending the preparation of a book of evidence for the trial.
The judge said if the accused were adopting an alternate course Mr Callan and gardai would liaise with each other in the interim.
Legal aid was granted.