independent

Sunday 15 July 2018

26-year-old man had no reason or excuse for assault while intoxicated

A 26-year-old man who pleaded guilty to an assault charge, has had his case further adjourned.

Aidan Leonard, 11 Barton Park, Cox's Demesne, Dundalk, committed the offence at Maxol, Castletown Road, on 5 June, 2016.

The matter had been put back for a probation report, and solicitor Peter Lavery said his client, who has a number of young children, is starting a job.

He added Leonard has no reason or excuse for doing what he did. He was intoxicated.

Judge Coughlan said he would adjourn the case to 2 May, 2018, and ordered another probation report for that date.

He told the defendant he must hold down a job, and warned that a five months sentence is hanging over him.

Evidence was given that at 2.30pm on 5 June, 2016, a man pulled into Maxol to refuel.

Two males, both of whom appeared intoxicated, approached, and he moved to avoid them.

They followed the man into the shop, where one of them got him in a head-lock. The victim nearly passed out.

The Argus

News