independent

Tuesday 21 May 2019

Firework is thrown through letterbox

A Halloween tragedy was narrowly avoided in Ardee last week after the fire brigade rushed to the scene of a house fire ignited when a banger was thrown through the letterbox.

The incident happened on Sunday, October 27 and while there was extensive damage caused to the house, thankfully it was unoccupied at the time.

The residents of the house in Ferdia Park had handed in the keys to the abode just the week before.

A spokesperson for the fire brigade confirmed the fire had been caused by a banger thrown through the letterbox and the fire brigade were called to the scene at 3.30pm on the day of the incident.

‘It was kids being silly because it was Halloween. Thank God there was no one in the house or it could have been a lot more serious,’ a spokesperson for the fire brigade commented.

The carpet in the hall was ignited by the banger and was badly damaged as well as the curtains on the door and window. There were bad scorch marks in the hall and the rest of the house was badly smoke damaged.

The previous day, Saturday, the fire brigade were called to a fire involving up to 10 abandoned cars at Coole on the Bog Road.

A number of cars have been abandoned in the area over the past number of months and these were ignited in what is believed to have been a malicious attack. A number of trees and shrubs in the area were damaged as a result of the blaze.

News