I have just been speaking to Santa, who is not at all impressed with those sitting on the government benches.
While checking his list, he noted the following:
- Numerous broken promises.
- Withdrawing SNAs in September.
- Frightening people coming up to the Budget.
- Cutting fuel allowances.
- Charging people for public beds in hospitals.
- Taking €100 from families while giving advisers an extra €35,000.
- Throwing the McGrath Bill to help mortgage arrears families out of the cot, while embracing the inadequate pro-bank Keane Report.
- Counting carers' allowance as an income.
- Targeting disabled for cuts.
- Increasing VAT ahead of plan and when economy needs boost.
- Cutting capital programmes instead of introducing labour intensive programmes.
- Putting property tax on the menu for Christmas.
- Not taking advice of those with experience.
- Badly drafted Inquiries Bill and money wasted on a referendum.
- Trying to pass a new European Treaty off as a vote for staying in the euro.
- Tinkering with the HSE and passing it off as a step towards universal health insurance, which will force families to pay more for insurance they can't afford.
- Planning to pay billions to Anglo in 2012.
- Spending a huge amount of time and energy getting their own way on Cardiff and failing to do the same for the nation.
- Washing their hands of upward-only rentals for SMEs.
The huge majority in the Dail are on notice to pull up their socks and start revealing a more compassionate spirit.
Lucan, Co Dublin