- WITH so much panic over the time-scale attached to the passing of the Finance Bill, have both sides of the Dail forgotten that almost immediately after the presentation of the Budget, on December 7, the entire house took off like bats out of hell and didn't return until about five weeks later?
That's the main reason why the Taoiseach is blabbing that the Bill isn't usually finalised until the end of March.
- WHAT an appalling week it has been for Irish leading lights and their difficulties with the Greens. First, it was FF and Brian Cowen and then Padraig Harrington.
TRAMORE, CO WATERFORD
- WOULD all radio and television stations agree during the forthcoming election campaign to implement a strict policy of insisting that all candidates must give immediate and direct answers to specific questions or switch off their microphones, even in midsentence. We, the electorate, might learn something interesting by week three.
Let me be quite clear about this, it is important to say that I'm glad you asked me that ques………
- CONTRARY to your frontpage headline (Irish Independent, January 24) the Greens didn't pull the plug – they just slithered back down their hole.
MICHAEL P KIRWAN
BOYLE, CO ROSCOMMON
- WHEN Sligo County Council decided “to safeguard the public interest” (‘Dream is over as Lissadell's owners lose right-of-way case’, Irish Independent, January 21), it is a pity it had such a blinkered view of what the public interest may be.
If the owners create new private entrances, and if the present rights of way over their property become overgrown in the years to come, who will blame them?
DARGLE WOOD, DUBLIN