A look back at the past week in quotes, and some bonus seasonal quotes.
"This action marks the end of an extraordinary seven-year period during which the federal funds rate was held near zero to support the recovery of the economy from the worst financial crisis and recession since the Great Depression."
- Chairwoman Janet Yellen as the US Federal Reserve raised interest rates last week, ending an extraordinary period of government intervention in the financial markets that started at the height of the recession.
"The personification of love and goodness and care was in the personality of this man and to be accused of no care for the most innocent and vulnerable of all was the deepest cut."
- Fr Tim Murphy, a long-time friend of Dermot O'Mahony, at the bishop's funeral Mass.
"You can never be too hot."
- Tennis star Serena Williams admires the cover photograph of her in Sports Illustrated.
"It's easy to be miserable. And I love being miserable. As a keyboard player, it's much easier to write miserable songs."
- Sir Elton John.
"Wasn't it an amazing sight? I had the biggest smile on my face."
- Rebecca Peake, wife of British astronaut Major Tim Peake, on watching the launch of the rocket taking him to the International Space Station.
"I want to go with daddy."
- Major Peake's four-year-old son Oliver Peake at the launch.
"To Europe and the UK, I hope you enjoyed the show."
- Major Peake at the launch.
"Frequent travel may be required."
- A passage from Nasa's advertisement for more astronauts.
"The Turks have decided to lick the Americans in a certain place. There is a creeping Islamisation of Turkey that would have Ataturk rolling in his grave."
- Russian leader Vladimir Putin steps up his attack on Turkey over the downing of a Russian combat aircraft allegedly in Turkish airspace.
"A totally irrelevant hasbeen."
- Donald Trump, a presidential hopeful, attacks Alex Salmond, former first minister of Scotland, in a row over windfarms.
"Donald Trump is great at the one-liners, but he's a chaos candidate and he'd be a chaos president."
- Republican US presidential hopeful Jeb Bush on his rival.
"I must have smoked for 50 years. It has been about 30 years that I neither smoked nor had anything to drink. I should have died."
- Veteran star Dick Van Dyke who is approaching 90.
"I was nine and my father was sacked on Christmas Day. He was a manager, the results had not been good. On Christmas Day, the phone rang and he was sacked in the middle of our lunch."
- Jose Mourinho recalling his early life. The Chelsea manager was himself sacked last Thursday after the team's Christmas lunch.
And finally, for the season that it is:
"Christmas time! That man must be a misanthrope indeed, in whose breast something like a jovial feeling is not roused - in whose mind some pleasant associations are not awakened - by the recurrence of Christmas."
- Charles Dickens, Sketches by Boz.
"Christmas at my house is always at least six or seven times more pleasant than anywhere else. We start drinking early. And while everyone else is seeing only one Santa Claus, we'll be seeing six or seven."
- Comedian WC Fields.
"My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?"
- American comedian Bob Hope.
"It snowed last year, too: I made a snowman and my brother knocked it down and I knocked my brother down and then we had tea."
- Dylan Thomas, A Child's Christmas in Wales