PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE
* An optician charged ?6 postage to mail a pair of frames - the cost of the affixed stamps totalled ?1.44.
* A motorist was quoted 34c for a plastic clip to fix his electronic window mechanism and ?101 for labour. The garage refused to sell him the clip only.
* ?1.45 for a dash of lime in a pint of water in a pub in Ranelagh.
* ?1.75 for a dash of lime in a pub in Rathmines.
* ?34 for a small steak and eight chips in a Dublin restaurant.
* A Co Wicklow hotel charged ?20-per-bottle wine corkage.
* ?230 for a woman's hair cut and highlights in a Dublin branch of a salon chain.
* A leather living-room suite sold for ?5,995 in a Dundalk furniture store but was only ?3,700 13 miles up the road in Newry.
* ?690 for a standard car service.
* ?3.08 for a packet of 30 aspirin tablets in Tallaght.
* ?18.64 for a small organic chicken in a local supermarket.
* ?32 for a nasal spray in a Meath pharmacy that costs the equivalent of ?10 in the North.
- cited on Fine Gael's ripoff.ie and the valueireland.com websites