| 22.6°C Dublin

Woman injured in alleged assault in Dublin dies in hospital


Uransetseg Tserendorj

Uransetseg Tserendorj

Uransetseg Tserendorj

A woman who was stabbed and seriously injured in Dublin last month while on her way home from work has died.

Mother-of-two Urantsetseg Tserendorj (48), who was originally from Mongolia but had worked and lived in Ireland for several years passed away this morning.

She suffered life-threatening knife wounds following the alleged assault and attempted robbery in the capital’s financial district on January 20.

At around 9.30pm, while on her way to meet her husband after finishing work, she was stabbed near Custom House Quay, in the IFSC, Dublin 1.

Ms Tserendorj was rushed to the Mater Hospital where she was treated for her injuries but sadly passed away this morning.

Investigators are now awaiting the results of a post-mortem examination to determine the course of the garda inquiry.

A 15-year-old teenager has already been charged in relation to the alleged assault and attempted robbery of Ms Tserendorj.

The tight-knit Mongolian community in Ireland, made up of around 2,000 people, is said to be deeply shocked by the killing.

The family have lived in Dublin for many years where Ms Tserendorj worked as an office cleaner.

Her son, aged in his mid-20s, has recently been living in Mongolian while her teenage daughter is currently in her Leaving Cert year.

It’s understood that in recent days Ms Tserendorj’s sister travelled from the east-Asian country to Ireland to be at her bedside before she passed away this morning.

At a court hearing last month gardaí said that the youth charged in relation to the incident, who cannot me named because he is a minor, may face further serious charges.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Gda Mark Barry of Store Street garda station gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution at the court appearance last month.

He said the boy made no reply when charges were put to him.

There was no application for bail and he appeared at the Dublin Children’s Court before Judge Colin Daly.

Defence counsel Alison Fynes said there was no application for bail and the teen consented to being further remanded in custody for another four weeks.

Adjourning the case until 24 February next, Judge Daly told him directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions needed to be obtained. He explained that they were needed to help determine if the case should stay in the juvenile court or go to a higher court.

The boy is charged with assault causing harm contrary to Section 3 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997.

He also faces connected charges of attempted robbery and unlawful possession of a knife as a weapon at the CHQ Building, in the IFSC in Dublin 1.

Local Independent councillor Nial Ring said the tragic news has brought in to focus the need to tackle knife crime in the area.

“There are over 2,000 Mongolian citizens working in Ireland and a huge number live around the inner city, as did Urantsetseg, and all they want is a better life for themselves and their families. Urantsetseg lived in the area with her daughter (her son moved abroad to study).

“This tragic news again bring into focus the necessity and indeed obligation on us all to tackle this problem. On Monday night Dublin City Councillors backed a motion to get the Minister for Justice to set up a task force on knife crime and demanding that the bill Jim O'Callaghan put before the Dáil recommending doubling of the knife crime/carrying sentence be enacted. It is incumbent on us to follow up and ensure these initiatives are carried out.,” he said.

“We owe it to Urantsetseg, we owe it to the boy killed in East Wall last week (who we all know but can't name!) and we owe it to all victims of knife crime to do our duty as public representatives and public servants to protect the public from crime.

”Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and with the grieving Mongiolian community. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam dílis,” Mr Ring added.

The stabbing was one of several violent incidents in the capital in recent weeks which also saw a juvenile knifed to death and a doctor stabbed on his way home from work.

The spate of crimes also led to the Justice Minister and the Garda Commissioner meeting for an hour yesterday to outline their concerns.

Gardaí have also set up a special policing plan in Dublin in an attempt to deal with the issue.

Most Watched