| 7.6°C Dublin

‘We will never give up’ – lawyer for family of Michaela McAreavey vows to continue fight for justice after key witness in murder trial is found dead in Mauritius


Michaela McAreavey

Michaela McAreavey

Michaela McAreavey

A LAWYER, who represents the interests of the murdered Michaela McAreavey’s family in Mauritius, has vowed the death of a key witness will not end the pursuit of her killer.

Family lawyer Dick Ng Sui Wa also described the apparent suicide of Raj Theekoy on wasteland in Beau Plateau in Goodlands as “most weird” adding: “I’ve asked police to inquire thoroughly.”

Mr Theekoy (43) was found dead on the holiday island this morning – dealing a blow to hopes her killer may one day be brought to justice.

Sources said investigators were looking at the possibility Mr Theekoy’s death may have been as a result of suicide but had yet to rule out foul play at the hands of a third party.

It is understood Mr Theekoy’s wife Manisha had reported her husband missing to police yesterday.

Asked whether Mr Theekoy’s death has effectively ended the possibility of Ms McAreavey’s killer being brought to justice, Mr Sui Wa replied: “No. There might be other leads. But we will never give up.”

InFocus Podcast: Murder in Mauritius - the Michaela McAreavey story Posted 11 hours ago

Listen on Apple Podcasts Listen on Spotify

Speaking about the circumstances of Mr Theekoy’s death, he said: “I doubt it’s a criminal act…his death.”

Mr Theekoy was a cleaner at the Legends resort in Mauritius where Ms McAreavey had been staying with her husband John when she was strangled to death.

Hotel workers Avinash Treebhoowoon and Sandip Moneea later stood trial accused of attempting to steal from the McAreaveys' room before killing Michaela when she interrupted them.

Mr Theekoy told their 2012 trial he heard her scream, and then saw the accused men in the vicinity of Ms McAreavey’s room shortly afterwards.

Mr Theekoy had been granted full immunity if he "promised to speak the truth".

Mr Theekoy said on the day Ms McAreavey was killed he saw a cleaning trolley bearing Mr Treebhoowoon's name outside her room, 1025, at 2.45pm.

He said: "When I was walking away I started hearing the voice of a woman screaming in pain."

He said he heard her cry, "Ah!" three times. "Then I got scared. I thought it could be a husband and wife having a fight," he said.

He went to room 1021 to hide and also "to see who was coming out of room 1025".

He claimed he saw the two defendants walking from the direction of the room. He said Mr Treebhoowoon's face was wet and that both he and Mr Moneea looked "worried".

He said he later asked Mr Treebhoowoon and Mr Moneea what had happened and Mr Moneea threatened him, saying: "If you say anything about this, I'll drag you into the case."

Prosecutor Medhi Manrakhan asked him: "What did you understand by this?," with the witness responding: "That he killed the woman in room 1025."

He said that when he spoke to his family the following day, "I got courage and decided to speak the truth."

Both accused were later acquitted of Ms McAreavey’s murder.

This article was amended on Sunday, October 3, 2021.

Most Watched