Gardai expect to make a number of new arrests, including of suspects who are currently serving jail sentences, in the coming months in relation to the murder of a teenager whose dismembered body parts were found in two locations in Dublin on this week last year.
The development comes as it has emerged that a suspect in the gruesome murder of the youth has recently relocated to the capital’s north inner city from his Drogheda home which has been attacked by rivals.
The home of the man who was badly damaged in a petrol bomb attack when he was arrested last month by officers probing the shocking murder.
Two men have already been charged in connection with the murder of the 17-year-old who cannot be currently named for legal reasons.
“There will be more arrests in this investigation and the expectation is that suspects will be brought out of prison. This remains a massive investigation and more charges are expected,” a senior source said.
The chief suspect in the case was notorious north Dublin gangster Robbie Lawlor who was shot dead in Belfast last April.
Meanwhile senior sources say gardai continue to closely monitor the activities of criminals involved in the deadly Drogheda feud which has claimed four lives, with officers having major success against the feuding gangs over the past year.
Officers received intelligence that a 22-year-old criminal who is a key player in the so-called ‘Anti-Maguire’ faction in the feud was due to fly home from his Mexican hideaway over the Christmas period but he never arrived back into the country.
“An alert was put in place but there was no sighting of him. He was probably best advised as he would be arrested on sight as there are outstanding warrants out for him,” the source said.
He fled Ireland with his 25-year-old gang boss brother almost a year ago in the chaotic aftermath of the brutal murder of the teenager but neither man is a suspect in that case.
They are mortal enemies of the gang led by paralyzed gang boss Owen Maguire who was left with life-altering injuries after being shot multiple times by Robbie Lawlor in 2018.
Since last January’s murder gardai have continued with a major clampdown on the feuding gangs with €1.2m worth of drugs and €1.5m in cash seized in Co Louth in the past year with 200 people arrested for drug dealing.
In Drogheda alone, 95 drug dealing suspects were arrested and over €500,000 worth of drugs were seized in the Co Louth town under Operation Stratus.
“Gardai keep on plugging away at these gangs and seizures are being made every week,” the senior source.
“It is not always seizures that get national headlines but they are often very significant on a local level. For example in the most recent surveillance operation, €2,500 in cash was seized at a house in Dunleer on Tuesday and this would be typical of what is constantly going on.
“Every day gardai are attempting to chip away at the gangs – out of the 95 drug dealing arrests in Drogheda the past year it seems pretty much an arrest ratio of 50/50 between both factions,” the source added.