Monday 20 May 2019

Toddler suffers severe internal injuries after drinking oven cleaner

Ben Kendall

A TWO-YEAR-OLD boy has suffered severe internal injuries after drinking oven cleaner.

Callum Blackshaw may require an oesophagus transplant after swallowing several mouthfuls of the chemical cleaner two weeks ago.



He is being cared for at Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, after being transferred from Basildon Hospital near his home.



The toddler's grandmother, Carina Blackshaw, told the Basildon Echo she was "distraught" after leaving the product on a kitchen table after buying it for Callum's mum, Maxine, 23.



Callum climbed on to the table and managed to open the bottle's child lock before swallowing the liquid.



Carina Blackshaw, a police community support officer, said: "I feel distraught and I do feel responsible for leaving it on the table, but I can't get my head around how he un-did the bottle.



"The bottle might have been faulty, but we'll never know as it was taken with Callum to Basildon Hospital and then on to Great Ormond Street, but it's got lost."



Callum, a twin with his brother Calvin, has been receiving treatment for two weeks and is being fed by drip.



The family, from Orsett, Essex, visit regularly and mum Maxine has kept a bedside vigil each night.



"It's hard for her and hard for Callum, too. He doesn't understand," Carina Blackshaw said.

Top Stories

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News