WATCH: Walk to a haunted house in the Dublin Mountains - it takes just 1.5 hours!
Set on Montpelier Hill, overlooking the city and coast from a height of 1,275 feet, the Hell Fire Club is deeply ensconced in Dublin folklore.
First built as a hunting lodge by in 1725, the stone building later became notorious due to the behaviour of a wild young group of aristocrats who met there.
Drinking and gambling were just the beginning. Strange stories also suggest satanic rituals, murder, and even a card game joined by the devil himself.
The Hell Fire Club was built on the site of an ancient passage tomb - another story suggests its stone was taken from a cairn on the grave, cursing the building.
Today, walkers can access the lodge via a looped walk through the Dublin Mountains - the main forest entrance is about 6.5km south of Rathfarnham on the R115.
The Hell Fire Club hit the headlines recently, with the unveiling of a proposed €19 million tourism development by South Dublin County Council and Coillte.
The proposal includes a visitor centre, restaurant and treetop canopy walk, but a 'Save the Hellfire' campaign has been protesting the developments.
It believes tree-felling, environmental damage and traffic congestion would adversely impact the area around Massey's Wood and Montpelier.
For more info and parking directions, see dublinmountains.ie.