Wild Atlantic Winners: Ireland's top responsible tourism destination announced
'Tourism for local benefit'
Several new awards are heading west following the 2016 Irish Responsible Tourism Awards, held in Dublin yesterday.
Mulranny, Co. Mayo, was named Ireland's overall winner for responsible tourism, with the majority of gongs going to Wild Atlantic Way-based businesses - despite entries being submitted from almost every county.
The awards were announced at the third annual Irish Responsible Tourism Conference, which took place at the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Golden Lane.
Best Destination for Responsible Tourism
- GOLD: Mulranny, Co. Mayo
- SILVER: Inishbofin Island, Co. Galway
- SILVER: Sheep’s Head Way, Co. Cork
Best for Natural Heritage Tourism
- GOLD: Doolin Cave, Co. Clare
- SILVER: Burren Nature Sanctuary, Co. Galway
- SILVER: Sea Synergy Marine Awareness & Activity Centre, Co. Kerry
Best for Accessible & Inclusive Tourism
- GOLD: Gleneagle Hotel Group, Co. Kerry
- SILVER: Mobility Mojo, Dublin
Best Local Authority Initiative for Responsible Tourism
- GOLD: Lough Muckno - Monaghan County Council
- SILVER: Westport Smarter Travel Bike Buffet - Mayo County Council
Best Tourism Accommodation for Local Sourcing
- GOLD (joint): Sea View House, Co. Clare
- GOLD (joint): Fuchsia Lane Farm Holiday Cottages, Co. Tipperary
- SILVER: Hotel Doolin, Co. Clare
Best Innovation in Responsible Tourism
- GOLD: Blackfriary Community Heritage and Archaeology Project, Co. Meath
- SILVER: Great Lighthouses of Ireland
The Irish Centre for Responsible Tourism was founded in 2013 to encourage tourism businesses that benefit local communities and the environment.
“A more environmentally conscious and community-centred approach to developing tourism in Ireland is becoming more and more mainstream," said Paddy Matthews, Fáilte Ireland’s Head Investment & Innovation.
"And so it should. It results in more genuine and authentic experiences for all our visitors.”
The Irish Responsible Tourism Awards, judged by a panel of experts, are part of a growing family of worldwide responsible tourism awards linked to the World Responsible Tourism Awards, originally founded by travel company, responsibletravel.com.
Irish category winners will now be long-listed for the world awards.
Read more:Ireland's hotel of the year named at Georgina Campbell Awards Irish Responsible Tourism Awards to promote 'better way to travel'