TripAdvisor reveals its Top 10 Irish museums, with three surprises
Travellers' Choice Awards
Sometimes the best gifts come in small parcels, as TripAdvisor's Top 10 list of Irish museums for 2017 reveals.
The latest Travellers' Choice Awards list for Ireland is dominated by the capital, with Dublin taking seven of the Top 10 places.
It is topped by the Little Museum of Dublin, a non-profit (and previous winner) housed in a Georgian building overlooking Stephen's Green.
TripAdvisor's Top 10 Irish Museums
- Little Museum of Dublin
- Glasnevin Cemetery Museum, Dublin
- Irish Whiskey Museum, Dublin
- National Museum of Ireland - Archaeology, Dublin
- EPIC, The Irish Emigration Museum, Dublin
- GPO Witness History, Dublin
- Croke Park Stadium Tour & GAA Museum, Dublin
- Michael Davitt Museum, Foxford, Co. Mayo
- Irish Military War Museum, Co. Meath
- Derryglad Folk & Heritage Museum, Athlone
“The success of the Little Museum speaks to the pride that Dubliners have in their city," said its director, Trevor White. "We launched at a time when Ireland was in the economic doldrums, and we were lucky to enjoy the support of the public from day one.”
Both EPIC and GPO Witness History are new entries, having steadily been building profiles since their openings in 2016. Justin Trudeau, the Canadian Prime Minister (below), has been one of the celeb visitors to EPIC this year.
It's fair to say the Michael Davitt Museum, Irish Military War Museum and Derryglad Folk & Heritage Museum might come as a surprise - edging out some far more famous competitors to take the final three places.
TripAdvisor's Travellers' Choice Awards are based on "millions of reviews and opinions collected in a single year from TripAdvisor travellers worldwide," it says.
The online travel giant also revealed its top global museums, with New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art scooping first place for the third year in a row.
TripAdvisor's Top 10 Museums
- The Met, New York
- The National WWII Museum, New Orleans
- Musee d'Orsay, Paris
- The Art Insitute of Chicago
- State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg
- 9/11 Memorial & Museum, New York
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City
- Acropolis Museum, Athens
- Prado Museum, Madrid
- V&A Museum, London