Six Irish hotels named among Europe's finest at World Travel Awards
And the winners are...
Six Irish hotels have won country awards at the European round of the prestigious World Travel Awards.
The awards were announced at a gala ceremony in Sardinia last night.
The World Travel Awards, now in their 23rd year, are decided by open vote and widely hailed as 'the Oscars of the travel industry'.
Turkey's Ciragen Palace Kempinski Istanbul was named as Europe's best overall hotel, while the leading hotels in Ireland were named as follows:
- Ireland's leading hotel: Powerscourt Hotel Resprt & Spa
- Ireland's leading boutique hotel: Dromoland Castle
- Ireland's leading business hotel: Shelbourne Hotel
- Ireland's leading hotel suite: Presidential Suite @ The Westbury
- Ireland's leading luxury hotel: The Conrad, Dublin
- Ireland's leading spa resort: Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
The Powerscourt Hotel was last year voted the AA's Hotel of the Year 2015/16, following its "transformative journey" back from Celtic Tiger cautionary tale.
“We are exceptionally pleased and indeed proud to be voted Ireland’s Leading Hotel 2016 at the prestigious Awards," said its General Manager, Ian Wynne.
Titanic Belfast took the biggest Irish prize of the evening, when it was named Europe's leading tourist attraction - an award won by the Guinness Storehouse last year.
Titanic Belfast now goes forward to the Grand Final Gala Ceremony 2016, where it will vie with other regional winners for the title of World's Leading Attraction.
The ceremony takes place in the Maldives on December 12.