Revealed: The world's most Instagrammed places in 2017
New York, London and Paris - as well as four Disney park locations - were among the most popular spots captured on Instagram this year.
The latest survey by the photo-sharing app revealed the Big Apple was the most-posted city in the world, followed by Moscow, London, São Paulo and Paris, which earlier this year saw a 10-year-high in visitor numbers, despite fears over terrorism.
Jakarta, the Indonesian capital, in eighth place, was the only Asian city to make the top 10, while St Petersburg was the second Russian inclusion, coming in as the seventh most Instagrammed city.
Top 10 most Instagrammed cities in 2017
- New York, US
- Moscow, Russia
- London, United Kingdom
- São Paulo, Brazil
- Paris, France
- Los Angeles, US
- St Petersburg, Russia
- Jakarta, Indonesia
- Istanbul, Turkey
- Barcelona, Spain
Among the more unusual entries was Disneyland in Anaheim, California, which was the most Instagrammed location of 2017, beating several tourist hotspots including Times Square, Central Park, and the Brooklyn Bridge in New York as well as Paris’s Eiffel Tower and Louvre, which was also the most Instagrammed museum in the world.
Disneyland was joined by the Tokyo Disney Resort (pictured below), Disney’s Magic Kingdom in Orlando, and the Disney California Adventure Park in this year’s ranking.
Top 10 most Instagrammed locations in 2017
- Disneyland (Anaheim, US)
- Times Square (New York, US)
- Central Park (New York, US)
- Eiffel Tower (Paris, France)
- Tokyo Disney Resort (Tokyo, Japan)
- Disney's Magic Kingdom (Orlando, US)
- Musée du Louvre (Paris, France)
- Brooklyn Bridge (New York, US)
- Disney California Adventure Park (Anaheim, US)
- Las Vegas Strip (Las Vegas, US)
“That Disney features in four of the top 10 isn’t a surprise: it’s a place that peddles magic and and merriment better than anyone else. Sure, there are the crowds (as there are in each of the other top 10); there are the queues (but you can get a fast-pass and there are ways to beat the crowds here); there are the weird grown-ups dressed as talking animals,” said Sally Peck, Telegraph Travel’s family editor.
“Disney is a multi-sensory entertainment machine determined to create an atmosphere: it pumps the smell of baking biscuits into Main Street USA; it puts on a fireworks-and-film display on the side of Sleeping Beauty’s castle that is second to none; when your runaway train car slowly climbs up through the shaft in Thunder Mountain, the thrill of the roller-coaster is enhanced by an explosion of lights in the mine. Is it the happiest place on Earth? That’s subjective. But there’s a unique magic that’s well worth recording,” she added.
The Las Vegas strip completed the top 10 most Instagrammed locations, probably helped by the fact that six of the 10 most photographed hotels on Instagram this year were in the Nevada city, while Singapore’s Marina Bay Sands hotel, an “architectural wonder” famed for its popular rooftop infinity pool, topped the ranking.
Top 10 most Instagrammed hotels in 2017
- Marina Bay Sands Singapore (Singapore)
- Bellagio Las Vegas (Las Vegas, US)
- The Venetian Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV)
- Atlantis The Palm, Dubai (Dubai, UAE)
- MGM Grand Las Vegas (Las Vegas, US)
- The Cosmopolitan (Las Vegas, US)
- Wynn Las Vegas (Las Vegas, US)
- Caesars Palace (Las Vegas, US)
- Fontainebleau Miami Beach (Florida, US)
- Paris Las Vegas Hotel & Casino (Las Vegas, US)
The usual suspects bagged the rankings for the world’s most popular museums on Instagram, dominated by four in New York including the Metropolitan Museum of Art and The Museum of Modern Art, as well as the British Museum, the V&A and the Natural History Museum.
There was, however, one quirky entry: LA’s Museum of Ice Cream, which opened a branch in San Francisco last month, where visitors are welcomed by a host of bright and colourful “Instagrammable” candy-coloured art installations that highlight “the wondrous joy ice cream evokes”.
Top 10 most Instagrammed museums
- Musée du Louvre (Paris, France)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, US)
- MoMA - The Museum of Modern Art (New York, US)
- LACMA - Los Angeles County Museum of Art (Los Angeles, US)
- British Museum (London, UK)
- American Museum of Natural History (New York, US)
- Whitney Museum of American Art (New York, US)
- Victoria and Albert Museum (London, UK)
- Natural History Museum (London, UK)
- Museum of Ice Cream (Los Angeles, US)
Elsewhere in America, the country’s national parks need no introduction, and the Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Yellowstone were unsurprisingly among the top 10 most Instagrammed parks in the country.
Dubai, however, the city of superlatives known for its audacious architecture, including popular selfie spot Burj Khalifa (the world’s tallest building), only featured once in the top 10 rankings, with the Atlantis The Palm coming in as the fourth most Instagrammed hotel in the world.