Five great things to do
• Take a day trip to Harris, one of Scotland's most untouched Islands on the outer Hebrides. Once there, head for the white sands of Luskentyre, voted Britain's best beach (€14 return; calmac.co.uk).
• Brave Skye's high seas for a wildlife cruise to the hidden inlet of Loch Coruisk, only accessible by boat. Keep an eagle eye out for raptors (€26; bellajane.co.uk).
• Share some Harry Potter magic with the kids at the bridge from the movie at the Glenfinnan viaduct in Lochaber.
If you're lucky, you may catch a passing steam train.
• Savour the seafood restaurants along Portree's pretty harbour or splash out on a posh-nosh treat at Three Chimneys in Colbost (threechimneys. co.uk).
• Head for the Gaeltacht -- or at least the Scottish one. Short courses in Gaidhlig at Sabhal Mor Ostaig will have you speaking in Celtic tongues in no time (€200 per week; smo.uhi.ac.uk).