Tips to keep it lean
1. Did you know turkey is lower in calories than many other meats? Try a 90g serving of roasted, skinless turkey breast, which is 140 calories and 1.8g fat.
2. Go easy on adding fats such as butter when cooking. 3. Fill yourself up by consuming as many vegetables as you can. Try out all the seasonal vegetables such as red cabbage, carrots, Brussels sprouts (right), and cauliflower.
4. Always steam vegetables rather than boiling.
5. Instead of roast potatoes and parsnips try sweet potatoes (left) if you want a healthier option. You can also chop them into large portions as this reduces the amount of fat absorbed.
6. If you're going to use meat juices to make the gravy, drain off any fat first.
7. Make stuffing with chopped chestnuts instead of sausage meat.
8. Beware extra calories in cranberry, bread and white sauces.
9. If you can't resist Christmas pudding, have just a small serving. Custard contains more calories than cream.
- Erika Doolan