Summer warning: Parents urged to check their gardens for these hidden hazards
The good weather is a great chance to get children off the sofa and into the garden.
But beware of the various hazards which can leave them at risk, according to the National Poisons Centre in Beaumont Hospital.
It says to try to get to know the different hazards in your garden, garage and garden shed:
• Keep toxic substances like herbicides, insecticides, drain cleaners, motor products, BBQ lighter fuels safely stored out of reach and out of sight.
• Do not mix garden chemicals or pour them into different bottles. Never remove the labels.
• Teach your children that some plants may not be safe to touch or eat.
• Check fences and gates to ensure they are secure.
• Walls can present a hazard and older walls can crumble away and collapse on top of young children.
Health & Living