Monday 11 December 2017

Smart Consumer: Make sure your wedding goes off without a hitch

Tina Leonard

At long last, spring is in the air, which can only mean one thing -- the start of the wedding season. If you are one of the happy couples about to tie the knot, congratulations! But without meaning to be a party pooper, have you thought about what would happen if something went wrong?

I'm not talking about the bride or groom doing a runner (Heaven forbid!), but rather what would happen if the photographer didn't turn up, if the flowers weren't as requested or if the wedding venue closed down.

Such is the importance of the big day, some may turn to wedding insurance in the hope that any such disasters will at least be compensated for by cash.

You could pay from €49 to €89 to be covered for up to €5,000 or between €150 and €200 to be covered for anything from €16,000 to €40,000.

Cover tends to include cancellation, clothes, gifts, rings, flowers and cakes, photography, transport, legal expertise, additional public liability and personal accident, and there will be excess payable on most claims, typically between €35 and €50.

But, as with every insurance policy, when shopping around the first thing you should look at are the exclusions -- or what you're not covered for.

You may be surprised to learn for example, that you may not be covered for cancellation due to pregnancy or childbirth, or even if your partner pulls out.

If you have to cancel due to an undeclared pre-existing illness, then you're in trouble, or sometimes with regard to photos, you may only be able to claim if more than 75% of what was commissioned wasn't provided. Still, peace of mind can be a powerful driver.

But if you are considering shelling out, it's worth knowing what eventualities you might already be covered for elsewhere.

1 If the venue has cancelled on you, you are entitled to a refund.

If the venue or any business closes down, you can seek a charge-back from your credit issuing bank if you've paid on a credit card or Visa debit card.

2 If anything is stolen or damaged in your home, you may be able to claim on your home insurance.

And if something is stolen or damaged at the venue, you may be able to claim on the venue's insurance.

3 If a supplier lets you down or doesn't do the job that you've asked for properly, your consumer rights entitle you to redress.

Remember that a product should be "as described" and do what it's supposed to do and a service should be carried out with the "necessary skill" and with due "care and diligence". If not, ask for a refund or exchange.

4 Some wedding insurance policies include honeymoon insurance, but if you already have travel insurance this will already be covered.

5 Always remember that any accidents in a venue should be covered by the venue's public liability insurance.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Life Newsletter

Our digest of the week's juiciest lifestyle titbits.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in Life