To buy or not to buy in July
* It is a buyers' market: you can play garages off against each other on price, equipment and trade-in values.
* You will get deals you would not have got in January or February.
* You may not get as good a deal next January because importers/dealers will not have ordered as much stock after being burnt this year. They may not be under as much pressure to offload.
* Many newer or better- equipped models brought forward to boost July sales.
AGAINST l You will only get 'half' a year out of it as a 'new' car.
* There may be even better deals early next year with 141 reg from January with cut-throat battles for market share.
* More new models coming on stream for the new year, with big numbers flooding in over late autumn and winter.
* Not a great time to buy: holidays, economic uncertainty, lack of cash, old car still doing okay so why change?
* Wait and see what Budget has in store.