Eddie Cunningham: 'Apparently I'm a moron, a fool, an idiot... but I still stand by every word'
SO I'm a moron, a fool, an idiot. I should be drop-kicked into the next parish and then the one after that. I should be arrested for potentially causing an accident. Did I not know anything about driving on a motorway?
And all because I said some (I stress some) other motorists, including drivers of ordinary cars, trucks and SUVs, bullied me for driving at 90kmh on the inside lane of two motorways.
Despite the invective, the facts don't change and nor do my opinions. Nor do the opinions of many motorists who have contacted me to say they've endured similar experiences. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't taken aback by the thousands of responses, especially from truck drivers. I didn't pick them out but they sure picked on me. I still stand by every word. But I am getting into a truck for a day so I can "see the other side", as one invitee suggested. I don't know what good it will do, but I'm really looking forward to it. And I'll let you know how I get on.Eddie Cunningham: 'I drove 90kmh on an Irish motorway... the rudeness and hostility I endured was chilling'
* They are making only 1,499 of a special 1499 GT Mini for the UK and Irish market. The special edition (pictured), including John Cooper Works styling and special graphics, pays homage to one of the classic Minis, the 1275 GT.
* For the record: The EU is proposing a 30pc cut in CO2 emissions from cars and vans by 2030. That is a 30pc drop on those for 2021. So the fleet average of 95g/km for 2021 will have to go to 66g/km. You get my drift? We're talking major surgery. Some people feel it's not enough and that German political might prevailed for softer treatment. Others feel it will hit us all hard in the pocket because diesel and petrol will be hammered in favour of far more electric vehicles being developed. The thing is 2030 isn't that far off when you factor in planning and development time to make radically cleaner cars.
* The Volkswagen Beetle is set to go electric and rear-wheel drive, reports say.
* Uber flying taxi cars will take to the skies in 2020, the firm says. It claims an airborne service will be cheaper and safer than a standard car. They've obviously studied Irish driving habits. Some people drive like they are airborne.
* Opel is planning a new SUV for 2019 with seven seats. There will be a plug-in hybrid too.
* Honda's Brexit warning could not be clearer. It says it could not absorb a 10pc tariff that could be imposed on UK-built cars if Britain switches to World Trade Organisation rules post-Brexit.