Thursday 14 December 2017

Video: Irish mum’s fright as car phone charger goes up in smoke

Deirdre O'Donnell's phone charger began to smoke
Deirdre O'Donnell's phone charger began to smoke
Mum Denise O'Donnell's USB wire went up in smoke as she parked her car
Patricia Murphy

Patricia Murphy

Many of us are guilty of sharing a bed with a charging mobile phone but a Donegal mum has posted a video that should stand as a stark warning to be more careful with our chargers.

Denise O’Donnell was replenishing the battery of her iPhone 6 from a USB charger in her car on Wednesday when she noticed the wire had begun to singe and smoke.

The wire was quickly removed from the car before it caught fire, but Denise said the incident was frightening as she usually charges her phone in bed at night.

“I usually charge my phone with a plug in my bedroom each night but yesterday I took the USB lead in to the car and used it with an attachment.

“I didn’t notice a smell of burning, but just as I was about to get out of the car, I saw smoke.

“I thought it was going to burst into flames. Even more frightening is the thought of this happening in my home at night. I've four children and it doesn't bear thinking about.”

The mum, who shared a video of the singed wire on her Facebook page, said she is determined to be more careful in the future and to never leave her device charging over night.

“This showed me just how quickly something like this can happen,” she said.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Life Newsletter

Our digest of the week's juiciest lifestyle titbits.

Promoted Links

Also in Life