The 'school-mum' gauntlet; Dublin bike show; busy at BMW; 1,000bhp hypercar
We often associate accidents with speed or drink driving or young brats.
It's not so stereotyped, I can tell you.
Last week a colleague and I were slowly making our way along a suburban road that was busy with mums/dads rushing to pick up their children from school.
One lady, obviously quite late and distracted, shot out from behind a row of parked cars and forced me to choose between crashing or swerving to the empty path. I chose the latter because I honestly don't believe she gave a second thought to stopping. I scuffed one front alloy on my lovely Mercedes E-Class estate in the process.
I was madly upset by that but it was, on reflection, a small price to pay.
The episode highlighted, for me, how otherwise demure drivers can lose their cool when under pressure.
That lady was scooting; so fast I couldn't get her number. Had she emerged from behind the parked cars a couple of seconds later we would have crashed head on. All because she was late. Sadly, I'm the one (and Mercedes) who lived with the consequences. I think she passed absolutely no remarks.
l We're promised a real treat at this year's Carole Nash Irish Motorbike and Scooter Show at the RDS. There will be three new Triumph motorcycles on view here for the first time.
Fans will be able to see the Bonneville Bobber, Street Triple 765 and Street Scrambler models. The Triple 765 will be the first to be featured at a show anywhere as it was only unveiled on January 10.
All the indications are that there will be more new-bike model debuts than ever.
The show runs from March 3-5.
Sounds like fun.
* They've been busy at BMW. They have just facelifted the 4-series range (pictured above). There is refreshed styling and upgraded cabin. The M4 has an optional Carbon Package.
Meanwhile the new 520d EfficientDynamics saloon is being heralded as the most efficient 5-series yet.
And the 7-series gets additional driver assistance systems and Remote 3D View.
* The Mercedes-AMG Project One hypercar is expected to be unveiled at Frankfurt motor show.
Reports suggest the 1,000bhp four-wheel-drive motor will be sold out before it is revealed.
* Congratulations to Dublin-born Ger Boyle who has been appointed Aftersales Manager for Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Ireland.
He was previously National Service Manager. Ger joined the company back in October 2014.
* We can expect to see the new 210bhp Toyota Yaris hot hatch in all its glory at the Geneva Show in March.
* Bentley intends to have a plug-in hybrid version of all its models within the next few years.