Revealed: the 10 'safest cars' on our roads for the 12 months ahead
Thatcham Research has revealed the 10 cars competing for the overall What Car? Safety Award 2019 (announced January 22).
Safety Award judge and Thatcham research director Matthew Avery says: "The 10 cars in this long-list are some of the safest ever made."
The 10 contenders are:
* The Audi A6 which, Mr Avery says "has many safety features, including a pop-up bonnet, to protect pedestrians and cyclists".
* Audi Q3: "One of the year's stand-out performers."
* Ford Focus: "Its AEB system performed just as well as some of the more expensive buys in the list."
* Jaguar i-Pace: "High adult occupant protection (94pc) and crash avoidance technology (81pc) scores."
* Lexus ES: "A best-in-class EuroNCAP winner."
* Mercedes A-Class: "The only car in the top 10 to reach 90pc of its overall Euro NCAP score."
* Nissan LEAF: "Offering further reassurance over concerns on electric battery compromise in crashes."
* Peugeot 508: "Second highest Adult Occupant Protection score (96pc)."
* Volvo V60/S60: "Every car Volvo has produced has achieved maximum Euro NCAP star rating."
* Volvo XC40: "Highest Adult Occupant Protection score of any car tested last year."