Older bikers warned; A8's movie role; Global Kona; BMW X7 to make debut; vintage show
Lots of people live the dream as they reach mature years and buy themselves a new motorbike - or rejoin the biker ranks.
Older road users may think they are safer but a new study has some stark reminders.
Research by O'Neill et al in the current edition of the Irish Medical Journal found that while older bikers are generally safer than younger riders, their proportion of injuries is rising.
In 2005, 17 motorcyclists aged 55+ were injured, compared with 31 in 2012. In 2014, motorcyclist fatalities were 28.45 times greater than those of car drivers and passengers per mile travelled.
The study says: "Older car drivers have an excellent safety record: older motorcyclists, however, appear to be a particularly vulnerable group."
In Ireland, the most common injuries are to knees and lower legs, followed by head and neck, shoulder, abdomen and lower arm.
Older bikers are also more likely to be killed in a collision with another vehicle, rather than a stationary object, compared to younger motorcyclists.
* Cinemagoers will get a sneak preview of the new Audi A8 in the new Spider-Man blockbuster. The official unveiling is July 11 at the Audi Summit in Barcelona, but it will make a guest appearance in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' at the film
premiere in Los Angeles on June 28.
* Pictured above is the new Hyundai Kona small SUV unveiled yesterday. The Nissan Juke rival will have two turbo petrols at launch, but a 1.6-litre diesel is expected mid-2018. There will be 2WD and AWD versions. As a 'global' car, it will be tweaked for certain markets.
* BMW's X7 will be revealed at the Frankfurt motor show in September. There will be a hybrid.
* Skoda's new Octavia RS 245 will cost from €39,865. They're taking orders now (with 0pc PCP for a time). There are hatchback and Combi versions. The 245bhp 2-litre petrol has a claimed top speed of 250km/h and a 0-100km/h time of 6.6 secs.
* Up to 120 cars, including Bentleys, Triumphs and Minis, will be on display at the NCBI Des Cullen Classic and Vintage Car Show on June 25. The event, now in its 21st year, takes place at St Columba's College, Whitechurch, Co Dublin.