Learning the right way; why Joe Brolly frightened me; Sharan's back...
Shortcuts with Eddie...
I've long been an advocate of letting people learn from their mistakes and preconceptions - where they can do no harm to others.
I believe everyone should have to spend half a day seeing what they can and can't do at the likes of Mondello Park.
Nothing scares the living wits out of you like a car at speed or on the edge of control.
So well done to SEAT for their initiative with young people. This year they have a fleet of Ibizas for their Early Drive Programme which allows 650 transition year students to get early-driving experience in a safe environment.
The cars will have dual controls - what a great way of letting young drivers get behind the wheel with confidence.
SEAT tells me the programme is available to other transition year students should they wish to partake.
As of now, here are participating SEAT dealers and associated schools: Canavan SEAT - Scoil Íosa, Malahide, Dublin; Blackwater Motors - Coláiste an Chraoibhin, Fermoy, Co Cork; Finbarr Galvin Motors - Bandon Grammar School, Co Cork; Bradys SEAT - St Declan's School, Navan Road, Dublin; Adams of Glin - Scoil Mhuire agus Íosa, Limerick; George Corbett Motors - De La Salle College, Waterford; Bradys Cavan - Breffni College, Cavan.
* Interesting reports that Volkswagen will reveal a new 4cyl 1.5-litre engine to replace the 1.6-litre diesel implicated in the emissions scandal. Big, big changes afoot there.
* Have you noticed how the big names want to keep making smaller cars? Audi will reveal the Q2 small crossover (smaller than the Q3) at the Geneva Show in March. They are looking for younger buyers. I thought all Audi buyers were young (at heart).
* Joe Brolly isn't everyone's cup of tea but he terrified me last Friday on the Late Late Show. I was there, courtesy of Renault, and partook in holding my nose and breathing through a straw for 60 seconds as Joe asked. It was shattering, I gulped in air because I panicked. That's what it is like every minute for those with Cystic Fibrosis. Shocking. Any suggestions on how Motors might help raise funds, let me know.
* I was always fond of the Volkswagen Saran so it's good to see the new one is back. Prices for the seven-seater people carrier start at €42,500. Its line-up is uncomplicated, unlike some, with just the 2-litre TDI (150bhp, 6spd manual or DSG) but it provides good competition at that end of the market.
* Opel's GT coupe concept - a strong indication of what its future design themes will be - is edging closer to production all the time by the look of things. Reaction at Geneva next month will be crucial.
* Our best wishes to SEAT dealer McCoy Motors of Lucan who has just unveiled a spanking new showroom. The independent family-owned dealership was founded in 1981 by Art and John McCoy. I pass it many a day. It's a busy spot.