Take Four: Former rectories with potential
Built around 1828, this former rectory, "Glebe House", originally the property of the king and managed by Lord John Conyngham, is located between Glenties and Dungloe at Lettermacaward, overlooking Gweebara Bay. Currently used as a holiday home, and in need of some modernisation, prospective buyers should note it is a listed building.
The front door is to the rear of the house, up a short flight of cut stone steps and with its original fanlight.
Set in one acre, it is a two-storey over basement property with three bedrooms (a fourth has been converted into a bathroom), all with original fireplaces, on the first floor with a kitchen and sitting room on the ground floor and original servants' quarters in the basement comprising three rooms - kitchen, scullery and pantry, and a hall. There is a large two-storey stone outbuilding adjacent to the house.
Enquiries to: Schiller & Schiller (051) 649992
In need of some renovation, this property sits on 4,300 sq ft and has 10 bedrooms, eight of which are ensuite, so there may be some scope for the buyers to make commercial use from it.
Four of these bedrooms are in the basement, which also has a kitchen and hall; four are on the first floor, where there is a study/library, while the remainder are in the attic space, which is floored with Velux windows.
On the ground floor, there is an entrance hall with original open spindle mahogany staircase, a dining room, drawing room and kitchen.
Many original features have been retained including coving, ceiling roses and picture windows. Stone steps at the front lead into extensive grounds planted in woodland and with shrubbery and mature trees.
The Old Rectory is in Portumna, 75km from Galway and 32km from Ballinasloe.
Enquiries to: Michael Regan Auctioneers (091) 847200
A five-bedroom two-storey over basement property near Ballyjamesduff is on offer here. The former presbytery was built by Lord Farnham for the Farnham Estate in 1871. With original sash windows, ornate plasterwork and 12' ceilings, it has been very well maintained. It was in use as a guesthouse until recently, so there is scope for the new owners to do likewise.
Accommodation consists of a porch, hallway, lounge, dining room, kitchen, sitting room and study with five bedrooms over two floors, together with an office and bathrooms. Outside, there are extensive lawns and a recently added tennis court. Separately there are two self-contained apartments (each two-bed) across the yard from the main house, suitable as guest accommodation. There is a commercial three-bay garage on the grounds, although this might also accommodate equestrian interests.
Enquiries to: DNG O'Dwyer (049) 8548472
This symmetrically laid out house in Mullinanone was constructed three storeys over basement in the 1780s as a Church of Ireland rectory for the Vicar of Kilvemnon, who had to high-tail it to Cashel to live after a riot broke out when he attempted to collect local tithes. With 4,897 sq ft of floor space, the ground floor level has a porch, hall, drawing room, dining room, breakfast room and kitchen, while the basement has the 'old' kitchen, two reception rooms a store and utility. The six bedrooms are laid out on the two upper floors with a bathroom on each.
All rooms are in excellent condition with wooden and tiled flooring and colours in keeping with the era. There are recessed bay windows in many of the rooms.
Outside are stables, a coach house and 14 acres of pasture. Mullinahone is 28km from Kilkenny and 17km from Fethard.
Enquiries to: Shelley & Purcell (051) 649992