A choice of four period properties currently available to buy in Kilkenny.
€750k Sherry FitzGerald Ballsbridge, (01) 269 8888
On the grounds of Burnchurch House in Bennettsbridge is a black walnut tree, said to be the tallest of its kind in Ireland. Built as a glebe house in 1815, this substantial, 7,330 sq ft property has three storeys and a basement. It has three reception rooms, including a drawing room leading to a roofed verandah overlooking the garden. The upper two floors have eight bedrooms, with another eight rooms in the basement. It's on 40 acres of land, with two courtyards surrounded by stables and coach houses, and a walled garden.
€340k Ennis Gough Property, (051) 851 166
The Old Post Office, Main Street, Piltown was built around 1900 and used as a post office until about 20 years ago. The current owners refurbished it, keeping the original post office as a reception room. There are two more receptions - a drawing room with French doors to the garden, and a dining room with a range. Above the kitchen is a playroom, and there are three bedrooms. Total size is 1,765 sq ft. It's on a third of an acre with a courtyard and garden at the back, and an outbuilding converted to an office, with shower.
€175k Thomas M Byrne & Son, (059) 913 2500
About a mile from the village of Goresbridge stands this period roadside two-storey house, overlooking a river at the back. It has three reception rooms - a sitting room, living room and dining room, all with fireplaces - as well as a kitchen and pantry on the ground floor. Upstairs are four bedrooms and a separate bathroom and toilet. The whole interior needs updating. It sits on about an acre of grounds and gardens, with outbuildings including a workshop and a lofted fuel shed.
€150k Sherry Fitzgerald Radford, (051) 426 161
This 4,000 sq ft Georgian house at Graiguenamanagh sits on 25 acres, overlooking the River Barrow. There may be a few reasons for the low price: it's a receivership sale, it's uninhabited and needs urgent repair; there's also a compulsory purchase order on the land for an access road to a new tourist amenity, but it's along the boundary and won't bisect the site. Dating from around 1800, it has four en-suite bedrooms in the main house, and another two bedrooms in an annexe. The main house also has three reception rooms, a kitchen, breakfast room and utility.