Four on the market: in Co Offaly
A selection of four very different properties featuring period features and modern design in the Faithful County of Offaly.
€350k Sherry FitzGerald O’Meara (0906) 475 500
By the skin of its teeth, this 2004-built detached house is in Offaly. Westmeath is literally across the road, and it's just on the edge of Horseleap Village, which straddles the border. There's high-speed fibre-optic broadband here, useful for home workers, and to that end, there's also a detached studio and garage. For commuters, it's about an hour's drive to the M50 via the M6 and M4 motorways. The house itself is 1,854 sq ft, with four bedrooms on the first floor (one ensuite). Downstairs, there's a living room, a study and an open-plan kitchen and lounge running the length of the house.
Rockfield House, Ballynamona
€595k Sherry FitzGerald Lewis Hamill (057) 932 0862
Rockfield House is about 6km from Tullamore and some 12km from Tyrrellpass, where you can join the M6 motorway for Dublin and Galway. Designed by an architect, Rockfield has been expensively fitted out with Canadian birch flooring, an oil-fired Rayburn, a water softener and security cameras, and it has a C2 energy rating. It has three ground-floor reception rooms as well as a conservatory and a kitchen diner of about 16 sq ft. There are three bedrooms downstairs and the master bedroom is upstairs, with walk-in wardrobe and ensuite bath.
The Monastery, Moorpark Street, Birr
€375k Boyd Auctioneers (057) 912 0263
Built in about 1800, the Old Monastery was the home of the Presentation Brothers in Birr for over a century, from 1878 to 1997. It's now been restored and its Georgian features are intact, as are many of its religious ones, such as the Sacred Heart carving on the keystone above the front door. What was the chapel is now a 12-seater cinema, and there's also a games room, two reception rooms, a dining room and kitchen. The upper floors have eight bedrooms, including a master suite on the top floor with ensuite bath and dressing room.
The Old Coach House, Durrow
€235k Sherry FitzGerald Lewis Hamill (057) 932 0862
The Old Coach House is next to Ballyduff, which crosses the Silver River about three kilometres northwest of Tullamore. It's marked on the early OS maps and is said to have been built about 1901, although the adjacent outbuildings are older. It's 2,271 sq ft and has some original features, including doors and shutters. The ground floor has two formal reception rooms, as well as a conservatory, kitchen and southwesterly sun porch. There's one bedroom downstairs and three more upstairs along with a study. It's on just under three-quarters (0.7) of an acre with a quaint cottage garden.