Mrs Doyle's hardwood floor cleaner
Although cleaning may not be everyone's cup of tea, this non-toxic solution is pure enough to drink and will leave your floor shining! Black tea contains tannin which enhances the grain and colour of wood and also helps prevent bacterial growth. This inexpensive cleaner disguises small scratches, leaves a warm shine and is perfect for darker hardwood floors.
8 regular teabags
3 tbsp white vinegar
A few drops of your favourite essential oil
3 ltr boiling water
1 rag-mop and bucket
1. Bring 1.5 litres (or a full kettle) of water to boil.
2. Pour into a clean bucket and add eight teabags.
3. Leave for a minimum of 15 minutes, or soak overnight for an extra dark finish. During this time, vacuum your hardwood floor thoroughly.
4. When you're ready to start, slowly add another 1.5 litres of boiling water into your bucket, taking care not to burst the teabags.
5. Carefully squeeze and remove teabags, then add white vinegar and a few drops of essential oil.
6. Dip your mop in the solution and wring out thoroughly. It should be moist, not saturated.
7. Clean the floor using small figure-of-eight strokes, dipping and wringing frequently. If the solution becomes cool or dirty, it needs to be changed.
8. When dry, take the time to buff the floor with a dry micro-fibre mop or cloth for extra shine.
Get the tea party started
There's nothing quite like a cuppa to warm us up and help us unwind. For me, this relaxing ritual is enhanced when served up in style. This kit-tea-cat china bone mug, is purr-fect for mindful reflection, while the beautiful vintage-style enamel teapot can help calm any crisis with a brew. BUY: Both available from Avoca stores nationwide and avoca.ie