4 of a kind... with history
By the bay in Booterstown
Dublin commuters driving in and out of the city centre along the Rock Road will be familiar with Glena, a fine detached Victorian house of both architectural and historic importance that overlooks the Booterstown Nature Reserve.
Glena, Rock Road, Booterstown, Co Dublin: €2.5m
The unusual turreted double-fronted house, which dates from around 1888, was for many years the home of the world-renowned tenor, Count John McCormack and his wife, Lily.
One can just imagine him giving private recitals in the magnificent bay-fronted drawing room from which there are views out over Dublin Bay, or relaxing with friends in the timber-panelled dining room, with its turreted seating area.
The villa-style property is deceptively large, with 557sqm of living space over two levels, and a large south-west facing back garden with garages and car ports providing room for five cars that are accessed through electronic security gates off Grotto Avenue to the rear.
At entrance level, there are three splendid reception rooms including an oratory-style annex to the drawing room that has magnificent stained-glass windows and folding doors to an elegant living room (currently used as a bedroom) with a domed skylight and bathroom en suite.
As currently configured, Glena has five reception rooms, a kitchen/breakfast room and six bedrooms, of which three are en suite, but the layout is flexible and could be adapted to suit the needs of new owners.
The location is ideal for families, in that it is within walking distance of both primary and secondary schools, including St Andrew's and Blackrock College.
Agent: Sherry FitzGerald (01) 269 8888
Sports by the Suir
Rocketts Castle Estate in Portlaw, Co Waterford, is a magnificent country estate on 250 acres of land with eight loose boxes and other equestrian facilities, as well as amenities for shooting and fishing. The Waterford Hunt meets at Rocketts Castle several times each season. The main house, dating from 1863, has over 1,000sqm of living space, and has been completely refurbished. In addition, there is a fishing lodge and gardener's cottage. On the grounds stands a round castle, understood to date from 1212, which lies at the east of the estate on the edge of the River Suir. It was designed for defensive purposes and to monitor any boats travelling inland on the river; with four levels, the structure features a cross-shaped arrow slit, clockwise stair and bartizans.
Agent: Savills (01) 663 4350
Magnificent in Merrion Square
WB Yeats once lived at 52 Merrion Square, a fine Georgian house located on the east side of Merrion Square, at the corner with Mount Street. The four-storey over basement house has views over the square and towards the Pepper Canister Church, and has been fully renovated and restored. The 468sqm of living space has been finished to a high standard and would be a great family home. The basement is zoned commercial and has its own separate access of Mount Street. There is a lift, and two parking spaces to the rear, as well as permission to install a roof terrace if the lift shaft is moved from the roof to the basement. The house currently does not have any outside space although it does have 26 sash windows, most of them looking out onto Mount Street.
Agent: Lisney (01) 662 4511
Beside the Bandon
Ardnacarrig House near Bandon in Co Cork dates from the early 1800s and was once home to James C. Allman, a whiskey distiller whose distillery, Allman & Co Ltd, lay on the other side of the Bandon River and was one of the most successful in the country. In 1889, Allmann commissioned the construction of a suspension bridge over the River Bandon from Ardnacarrig House to the distillery; the steps leading from the main house to the bridge are still in place today. The Italianate-style house has been owned by the current vendors for 30 years, and is fully restored. In total, there is 696sqm of living space and 19 acres of land, with extensive river frontage and fishing rights. A gate lodge and detached bungalow are included in the sale.
Agent: Savills (021) 427 1371