17th-century riverside residence
Cloongee House €600k
Cloongee House near Foxford, Co Mayo, was built in 1680 (according to the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage). But its origins are even older, as it is said to have been constructed from the stones of the medieval Cloongee Castle.
It was originally owned by the Moore family and later by the McDermotts, who lived there until the 20th century.
It was restored about 10 years ago by its current owner, but still has authentic features including original fireplaces and sash windows with shutters.
The grounds, which once extended down to the nearby River Moy, have now been reduced to 10 acres.
They include a long driveway, a courtyard with outhouses and stables, orchards, and a stretch of old woodland that includes a lovely - and rare - marriage tree.
As to the house itself, it's on three storeys, with six bedrooms on the upper two floors. The two formal reception rooms are also upstairs, on the first floor. One is a dining room and the other a bay-windowed drawing room, and both have fireplaces.
The ground floor has the kitchen and butler's pantry, a gun and tackle room, and a snug or TV room.
There's one bathroom on the first floor and two more on the second floor.
A couple of hundred metres away is the east bank of the River Moy, which has a reputation for being one of the best salmon fisheries in Europe, and certainly the best in Ireland.
The house is about four kilometres south of Foxford.
There's a railway station there on a branch line from Ballina to Manulla Junction, and at Manulla Junction you can get on a train for Dublin.
The selling agent, Dearbhla Friel Properties in Castlebar (094) 903 5747, is seeking offers above €600,000.