Carson show in Dublin 4
Edward Carson Senior was redrawing Dublin 4 long before Junior did the same for the Island of Ireland
The Carson family of Dublin had come a long way since the arrival from Drumfies, Scotland of William Carson, a Presbyterian chip and straw hat merchant in the early 19th century.
William prospered in his adopted city, enough to give a good education to his three sons. Two became clergymen and one became a top architect and civil engineer responsible for building much of Dublin 4 as we know it.
Young Edward Henry Carson is believed to have been the second of the three Carson boys, and he was good enough to attend the Royal Dublin School of Drawing in Architecture in the 1830s.
The Irish Architectural Archive states that Carson entered many architectural competitions during his career, including those for the Ennis Court House (1845), the Glamorganshire law courts (est 1847), Kilmainham Gaol (1857), the Molyneux Church, Dublin (1859), the Dublin Exhibition Building (1863), Dun Laoghaire Town Hall (1866), and Manchester Town Hall (1867).
He also applied his savvy to property development and would go on to build what would, both in the Victorian era and in modern times, become some of the capital's most prestigious homes.
Until his death in the 1880s, Edward senior was engaged in property development in the south suburbs of Dublin, including at Marlborough Road. According to the archive, he constructed a sewer at his own expense along the entire length of the road. Later as a politician he would sit on Dublin Corporation as a Liberal Conservative.
As Edward Henry was busily redesigning Dublin, little did he know that his third son Edward, later Lord Carson, would go on to become instrumental in the redesign of the very borders of Ireland itself. Lord Edward Carson, the totemic leader of Ulster Unionism, was instrumental in opposing a Unitied Ireland and helped secure Ulster's exclusion to the creation of the divided island we have today.
When Carson Snr developed here the street was called Bushfield Avenue and the area was rife for property developers to make a killing. Located at the edge of the Pembroke Estate, it had until the 1850s been home to the infamous Donnybrook Fair which became world famous for fighting, violence, drinking and general debauchery. Pillars of Dublin society like Carson Snr carried out a long-running campaign against the fair, eventually leading to its demise and immediately increasing property values in the process in an area which was on the city's doorstep.
The street and the immediate area was gentrified and in the 1880s was renamed Marlborough Road after Lord Marlborough.
The house at No 76 was designed and built by Carson Snr at the height of his abilities. It measures 2,850 sq ft, almost the equivalent of an average family home on each floor.
The south-east facing rear garden extends to a decent 42 feet but was cut short to develop a second home on the original site some years ago. No 76 has been used as a private residence for many years and has been reconfigured in that time to suit family living.
The garden level contains the kitchen and breakfastroom along with its own entrance, an entrance hall, storage and a bedroom with its own ensuite attached. There's also a cellar and a WC at this level. Upstairs on the first floor, and as originally intended, are the property's two main reception rooms, the drawing room and the dining room. These take up the entire floor and are interlinked via double doors to create a bigger entertaining space for parties and special occasions.
On the top of the house are two large bedrooms, both of which are ensuite, as well as a third smaller bedroom and a family bathroom. The period features include stucco and ceiling work typical of the mid Victorian era and the original joinery. The house is fitted with gas-fired central heating.
Marlborough Road is positoned within easy reach of St Stephen's Green on one side and of Donnybrook Village one the other side. Schools include Muckross Park College, St Mary's National School, Scoil Bhríde, Sandford Park, Gonzaga College and Alexandra College and the Luas at Beechwood is within walking distance and offers further access to Dundrum Shopping Centre one way and the City Centre the other.
Herbert Park is within reach and Donnybrook village with its pubs and shops which include the famous Kiely's pub. Today Donnybrook Fair is a famous delicatessen/foodhall and the only spats are the occasional handbag exchanges between upper crust schools rugby supporters.
76 Marlborough Rd
Asking price: €1.6m
Agent: Youngs (01) 4975581