Dairy- and Gluten-Free Ice Cream
400ml coconut milk
4 egg yolks
2 vanilla pods, split in half, seeds removed with a sharp knife
3 tbsp maple syrup
150g your favourite berries, chopped
1. Boil some water in a pot and reduce to a simmer.
2. Place a heat proof bowl over it in a double boiler fashion and pour in the coconut milk. Put vanilla seeds or vanilla extract with the coconut milk and heat, making sure it doesn't come to the boil.
3. Whisk the eggs yolks in a separate bowl. Add one ladleful of the now warm coconut milk to the eggs while whisking quite vigorously. Be careful not to scramble the eggs.
4. Whisk the eggs in the bowl near the coconut milk on the double boiler. Whisk for a couple of minutes non-stop to form a thick custard. Make sure it doesn't get too hot and the simmering water doesn't touch the bowl.
5. Once the custard is ready, remove from the heat source and let it cool on the counter or the refrigerator. Make sure it is cold enough to put a finger in it.
6. Once the custard is cold, add any other flavouring you prefer.
7. Let it cool even more in the refrigerator before freezing it.
8. Put into your ice cream maker and follow its instructions or put in a baking dish in the freezer and stir vigorously every 30 mins for about 2 to 3 hours, until set.
9. Take it out of the freezer for about 10 mins before enjoying so it softens a bit. Serve with fresh berries.
Health & Living