Global village: Melania Trump's home for the holidays
Slovenian beauty Melania Trump has her heart set on the White House, along with her husband Donald. But what does her country of origin have to offer as a holiday destination?
Travelettes.net recommends visiting Slovenia's capital, Ljubljana, with a shimmering river flowing through its heart, alabaster bridges, elegant buildings and bursts of greenery.
Slovenia is full of fairy tale castles, the most famous being Ljubljana Castle. The 15th century fortress, built in the mouth of a cave, is a stunning feat of architecture.
Nearby Lake Bled is a glimmering turquoise body of water, described as "nothing short of transcendent in its splendour".
Slovenian cuisine may not have much global reputation, yet apparently the food scene is thriving. Slovenia is wedged between Italy, Austria and Croatia.
Safety tips by an ex-CIA agent
Cntraveler.com has published nine travel safety tips recommended by a former CIA agent.
1. Acquire or make a copy of the fire escape plan on the back of your door.
2. Do not stay on the ground or the top floor. The ground floor is readily accessible to intruders and the top floor does not allow any room for manoeuvre.
3. Keep the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, even when you're not there.
4. Always assume the room is bugged. Keep the radio or TV turned on with the volume on low at all times - even when you are not in the room.
5. Keep the drapes/blinds pulled at all times, even when unoccupied.
6. Keep a light on in the room when unoccupied.
7. Keep a small "bug-out bag" packed with must-have items (money, ID, passport, etc.) in the event of an emergency departure.
8. Carry a motion alarm that can be placed over the doorknob. They are about €20 and can be found in most electronics stores.
9. Keep a flashlight next to the bed and within arm's reach.
You can't say we don't send you abroad prepared for all eventualities!
If you're New York bound....
With the publication of her hit short story collection Slaves of New York, Tama Janowitz was crowned the Lit Girl of New York in the 1980s.
Her soon-to-be-published memoir, Scream: A Memoir of Glamour and Dysfunction, is a darkly funny memoir of her life in and outside of New York City - from living in the heart of the city in the 1980s, to her life today in a tiny upstate town. It should appeal to fans of the Big Apple.
Published by Harper Collins.
Sunday Indo Living