Makes 1 medium loaf or 12 muffins or mini-loaves
This is a healthier version of a family favourite using fibre-rich wholewheat flour, dried fruit and nuts. Excellent for breakfast, lunchboxes and picnics. Bake as a loaf or muffins in a hurry. Ideal for kids to bake on their own.
* 375ml buttermilk
* 1tsp bread soda
* 1 large egg
* 2 ripe bananas
* 60ml sunflower oil
* 200g plain flour
* 2tsp baking powder
* 1tsp salt
* 200g wholewheat flour
* 150g soft brown sugar
* 150g seedless raisins or sultanas
* 100g chopped nuts (optional but nice)
* Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a medium loaf tin or a muffin tray or mini loaf tin.
* Add the bread soda to the buttermilk. Mash the banana and egg in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sunflower oil and buttermilk.
* Place a sieve over the mixing bowl and sift in the plain flour, baking powder and salt.
* Remove the sieve and stir in the wholewheat flour, sugar, raisins and nuts.
* Spoon the batter in the loaf tin or muffin tray.
* Bake the loaf for about an hour until cooked through or 20 to 25 minutes for the muffins.