Tuesday: Mini Chicken Enchiladas
This recipe was inspired by Bill Clinton's version– before he became a vegan! The creamy, zesty lime chicken filling contrasts really well with the spicy tomato sauce. Add bubbling, golden melted cheese and you're in comfort-food heaven.
The creamy, zesty lime chicken filling contrasts really well with the spicy tomato sauce. Add bubbling, golden melted cheese and you're in comfort-food heaven.
Creamy Lime Chicken Filling
* 4 chicken breasts
* 2 bay leaves
* 4 peppercorns
* Pinch of salt
* 1tsp cumin seeds
* 3 spring onions, finely chopped
* Juice and zest of 2 limes
* 250ml sour cream
* 1tsp cajun spice
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
* Salt and pepper
* 250g mature cheddar, grated
* 8 wholewheat tortillas
* 2tbsp olive oil
* 1 red onion, finely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1tsp ground cumin
* 500ml bottle passata or 1 tin chopped tomatoes
* 1tbsp tomato paste
* 1tbsp jalapeno chilli, finely chopped
* Handful of coriander stalks
* 1tsp sugar
* Salt and pepper
* Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add the chicken, onion, bay leaves, cumin seeds, salt and pepper. Bring back up to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and poach for 15 minutes. Remove from the poaching liquid and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Shred finely with your fingers.
* Mix the shredded chicken with the spring onions, lime, sour cream, cajun spice and coriander. Taste and season.
* To make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a pot and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add the ground cumin and stir briefly till fragrant.
* Pour the passata into the mixture, add the chilli, sugar and coriander stalks. Simmer for 20 minutes.
* Season with salt and pepper. Blitz to a smooth sauce with a handheld blender.
* Push a wholewheat tortilla into a small round dish or large muffin tray.
* Spoon in some of the tomato sauce then the creamy chicken filling.
* Top with cheese and bake in the oven at 200C for 10 minutes until the cheese melts.
* Sprinkle over diced tomato and spring onions and serve with corn on the cob.