Three recipes to help eat yourself clean
Lovely Lentil Moussaka, Retro Rainbow Rice Salad and Lemongrass Tea
Lovely Lentil Moussaka
* 4 medium potatoes, peeled
* 2 large aubergines, thinly sliced lengthways
* 1 onion, finely diced
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 250g brown lentils
* 500ml vegetable stock
* 150ml red wine
* 4 tbsp tomato paste
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
* 4 tbsp ricotta cheese
* 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
* 4 eggs
* 4 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
* Fresh nutmeg
* To cook the lentils, heat up a little olive oil in a pot. Gently sauté the onion until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the lentils, stock, wine, tomato paste and cinnamon. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
* To prepare the potatoes, steam or boil whole for 15 to 20 minutes until just tender. Allow to cool, then thinly slice and set aside for assembly later.
* To prepare the aubergines, slice lengthways into 1.5cm thick slices. Lightly brush with olive oil. Spread out on a baking tray and bake at 200°C for 10 to 15 minutes until golden and starting to char. Set aside.
* For the cheesy sauce, whisk together the ricotta, Greek yoghurt, eggs and Parmesan cheese.
* Begin assembling by spreading half the lentil mix in the bottom of a lasagne-style baking dish. Arrange a layer of potato slices on top, then aubergine slices. Spoon over the rest of the lentil mixture. Layer the remaining aubergine slices and finish off with a layer of potato.
* Spoon over the cheesy sauce and grate over fresh nutmeg.
* Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Retro Rainbow Rice Salad
* 250ml (1 cup) brown short grain brown rice (use your measuring jug to measure by volume)
* 3 tomatoes, finely diced
* 3 spring onions, finely chopped
* 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
* 1 red pepper, finely chopped
* 1 green pepper, finely chopped
* 1 x 200g tin of sweetcorn
* 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander, plus extra to garnish
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
* 2 tbsp crème fraîche
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 2 tbsp lemon juice
* 1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Combine the rice and 625ml (2 1/2 cups) water in a pot.
* Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer with the lid askew until just tender -- this will take 20-25 minutes.
* If you're using easy-cook rice, follow the cooking instructions on the bag.
* Spread the cooked rice onto a clean tray and fan it to cool it down.
* Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours. The rice must be completely cold, otherwise you'll breed bacteria.
* Mix all the remaining ingredients with the cooled rice.
* Season with salt and pepper and garnish with extra coriander.
* 3 stalks lemongrass
* 1 thumb ginger, peeled and sliced
* 2 litres water
* 2tbsp manuka honey
* Bruise the lemongrass with the back of a knife or heavy object, this will help release the natural oils.
* Pour the water into a large pot, add the lemongrass and ginger. Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
* Remove the lemongrass and ginger pieces.
* Stir in the honey until it has dissolved.
* Serve hot or chilled with ice.