Recipe: The Happy Pear's ‘Chick'n’ nuggets
These are easy to make, say Dave and Stephen Flynn.
We came up with more than 10 different versions of these one afternoon, trying to get the right texture and bite while keeping the recipe easy and quick to make. We reckon we got it right with this recipe — let us know what you think!
Makes 10-15 nuggets, 25 minutes.
For the nuggets:
100g cashew nuts
50g oat flakes
6–10 tbsp water
30g vital wheat gluten (from health stores)
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp sea salt
2 tbsp sunflower oil
A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
For the coating:
¼ tsp ground turmeric
Non-dairy milk, to help coat with the breadcrumbs
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1. Soak the cashew nuts in boiling water, leave to sit for 10 minutes, then drain.
2. Put your oat flakes into a blender and blend for 30 seconds till they form a flour-like powder. Transfer the blended oat flakes to a food processor and add all the remaining nugget ingredients, starting with the water and remembering to include the drained cashew nuts. Whiz until it all starts to come together into a dough (about 30 seconds). If you think it needs more moisture, add an extra couple of tablespoons of water.
3. Remove the dough from the blender, bring it all together with your hands and start forming it into small nugget shapes.
4. In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and turmeric for the coating. Put some milk into a second bowl and dip the nuggets in this before rolling each one in the coating, making sure they are well covered.
5. Put a wide-bottomed non-stick pan on a high heat. Once warm, pour in 2 tablespoons of oil and add the nuggets in batches that will fit your pan without crowding it. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side, until they are golden and starting to brown. Alternatively, you can bake them in a preheated oven on a baking tray at 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 for 10 minutes on each side.
6. These are great served with hummus, sweet chilli ketchup or kimchi on the side. You could also stuff them inside a toasted pitta with hummus and slices of tomato, some vegan mayo and kimchi. Yum!