Sweet and Sour Chicken
This is a favourite takeawayish recipe, perfect for kids and people trying to convert to healthier dinners. Jam packed with extra crunchy, colourful veggies that you can sneak into your family's diet. The ish factor is the sauce, a really tasty authentic tasting sauce but with a fraction of the sugar of shop-bought 'cook in' sauces.
* 4 chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips and seasoned with salt and pepper
* Sunflower oil, for stir frying
* 1 red onion, sliced into thin wedges
* 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
* 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
* 400g tin of pineapple pieces, drained and juice reserved
Sweet and Sour Sauce
* 2tbls tomato ketchup
* 2tbsp plum sauce
* 2tbsp light soy sauce
* 60ml white wine vinegar
* 1tbsp cornflour dissolved in 1tbsp water
* 60ml chicken stock (use a corner of a stock cube)
* Reserved pineapple juice
To serve: Brown basmati rice
* Mix the sauce ingredients and set aside.
* Heat one tablespoon of oil in a wok and stir fry the chicken in batches until browned and cooked through. Set aside in a clean bowl.
* Heat another tablespoon of oil and stir fry the vegetables until cooked but still crunchy, approximately three minutes.
* Add the chicken, pineapple pieces and sauce.
* Bring to the boil and wait for the sauce to thicken while stirring.