Sicilian-style purple sprouting broccoli
Here's a sprouting broccoli recipe that puts this venerable ingredient in a Sicilian style dish that's full of flavour.
* 1kg sprouting broccoli
* 6 anchovy fillets (drained, retain the oil)
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 onion
* 12 black olives
* 125ml stock (chicken or veg)
* 125ml red wine
* 1 tsp butter
* 1tsp flour
* Heat the oil and simmer the onions, anchovies and olives for five minutes.
* Add the broccoli, give it a good stir.
* Add the stock and the wine and then stir in a tablespoon of the anchovy oil.
* Season. Cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
* When the broccoli is tender, remove the lid and simmer for another few minutes. Take out the broccoli and transfer to a warmed serving dish.
* Thicken the sauce by adding a roux made from the butter and flour.
* Stir the sauce until it boils, then pour over the broccoli. Serve with crusty bread, fried potatoes or rice.
Health & Living