Roast pumpkin, sage and apple cider soup
* 500g pumpkin cut into cubes
* 2 carrots diced
* 1 onion diced
* 2 apples diced
* 300ml cider or apple juice
* 1 litre chicken stock
* Drizzle of Donegal Rapeseed Oil
* 1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
* 2 cloves garlic
* 4-5 sage leaves
* 4-5 sprigs of thyme
1. Preheat oven to 200C and place a tray in the oven to heat.
2. Drizzle pumpkin cubes with rapeseed oil and toss together. Season with black pepper. Add to hot tray and return to oven for eight minutes.
3. Heat one tablespoon of rapeseed oil in a saucepan and add onions and garlic.
4. Sweat for two minutes. Add carrots, roasted pumpkin, apples, sage and thyme.
5. Cook for another two minutes. Season with a twist of pepper and add cider or apple juice. Reduce slightly and add stock.
5. Bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until ingredients are tender.
6. Liquidise. Serve piping hot with crusty bread.
Brian's tip: Set aside pumpkin seeds and dry them. Serve them with the soup or in a bread to complement it. – Brian McDermott