Rhubarb and Strawberry Galette by master pastry chef Shane Smith
Ahead of his appearance at Bloom later this month, master pastry chef Shane Smith shares some sunny baking recipes
Think of the annual Bloom festival and no doubt images of show gardens and floral arrangements come to mind. However, it's not just your green fingers that you can indulge at the event - you can sharpen up your cooking skills, too.
At this year's festival, the Food Village will play host to hundreds of Irish food producers, both well established brands and smaller, artisanal companies. Showing you how to turn your new-found ingredients into tasty dishes will be leading chefs such as Neven Maguire, Catherine Fulvio, Paul Flynn and JP McMahon, who will appear on the Quality Kitchen Stage over the course of the five days.
Among those giving cookery demonstrations will be pastry chef Shane Smith, who will be appearing on Thursday, May 31 at 2.45pm and Saturday, June 2 at 10.30am. Having worked at the likes of the G Hotel and Knockranny House, Shane is a regular on TV3's Sunday AM programme. So, whether you've bought your ingredients or grown them yourself, try his sweet and savoury baking recipes to create a taste of summer.
Rhubarb and Strawberry Galette
For the dough:
250g plain flour
100g caster sugar
150g butter (room temperature)
1 egg yolk
3 tbsp water
For the filling: 450g Irish rhubarb
1 tbsp caster sugar
3 tbsp water
200g Irish strawberries
2 tbsp semolina
1. For the pastry, in a bowl using your fingertips, rub together the flour, sugar, butter and salt until a breadcrumb consistency is reached. To this add the yolk and water and mix until a dough is reached. Turn this onto a floured table and gently work, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.
2. For the filling, in a pot gently cook the chopped rhubarb with the sugar and water until the rhubarb begins to soften, take off the heat.
3. Once the pastry is rested, knead on a floured surface until smooth. Roll into a circle and using the rolling pin, transfer this onto a lined baking tray. Spoon the rhubarb into the centre and top with the strawberries, leaving a 2 inch rim around the edge.
4. Carefully fold the edges inward on top of the fruit leaving some of the centre fruit exposed. Egg wash the pastry and dust with semolina.
5. Place in a preheated oven at 180°C and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove and allow to rest before serving. Best served with ice-cream or whipped cream.