Recipe: Indy Power's loaded guacamole with a spicy kick (and it's vegan)
Spice up the party with this Mexican sharing snack.
This is a great one for when you're having friends over - everybody loves guacamole and you can leave it out for sharing.
Please log in or register with Independent.ie for free access to this article.
Gluten-free, dairy-free & vegan
2 cloves garlic
3 ripe avocados
200g cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
150g corn tortilla chips
1. Finely mince the garlic and add it to a medium bowl. Scoop the avocado into the bowl.
2. Add the juice of 1 lime and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Mash it all together with a fork.
3. Quarter the cherry tomatoes and add them to another bowl. Dice the onion and add it in. Drain and rinse the sweetcorn and add it in too.
4. Finely chop the coriander and add it to the bowl with the tomatoes and sweetcorn. Squeeze over the juice of a lime and season with salt and pepper. Toss well.
Just before serving, scatter the tortilla chips on to a large plate. Pile on the guacamole, followed by the tomato and corn salsa.
5. Sprinkle over some jalapeños and a little more coriander and serve with extra corn tortilla chips on the side.
Not required for this recipe but somewhat related in terms of things I have guacamole with: corn tortillas have so much flavour. They’re usually smaller than the big tortilla wraps we are used to, and the nutty corn flavour and grittier (in a good way) texture is made to be paired with creamy guac, charred fillings and zingy salsa. I get mine in Cavistons (cavistons.com), but they’re are also sold in select supermarkets. If you need some veggie taco night inspiration, check out the lentil tacos on the Little Green Spoon app — they’re really easy and perfect for midweek.