Recipe: Baked eggs with creamy kale
Here's a brilliant Rachel Allen recipe, using a lovely Irish cheese to make a rich dish from simple garden kale.
This could be a decadent weekend breakfast, or a weekday supper. Serves six.
* 25g butter and olive oil, for frying
* 900g kale, stalks removed before weighing
* 350ml single or regular cream
* 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
* 6 eggs
* 350g Glebe Brethan or gruyere cheese, grated
* Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
* Place a large, wide frying pan over a medium heat and melt the butter with a dash of olive oil.
* Add the kale then season with salt and pepper.
* Stir, and add the cream and nutmeg when the kale wilts and becomes tender.
* Bubble for three to five minutes, or until thickened.
* Divide the kale between six ramekins or other little ovenproof dishes, leaving a small well in the centre of each pile.
* Break an egg into each dish and sprinkle 50g of the grated cheese over the top.
* Bake for eight-10 minutes or until golden on top and bubbling around the edges.
* Sprinkle over a little pepper and serve immediately with toast.